Forum
Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

THE AIM-54 IS IT STILL THE BEST?

Last post 11-12-2002, 3:39 PM by DragonFang. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-10-2001, 7:18 AM 1368

THE AIM-54 IS IT STILL THE BEST?

*** Posted by DUSTY! ***
    THE AIM-54 AND THE F-14 ARE STILL THE BEST FIRE AND FORGET PAKAGE DO YOU AGREE?
  •  06-15-2001, 5:18 AM 1417 in reply to 1368

Re:THE AIM-54 IS IT STILL THE BEST?

*** Posted by preshan ***
    [THE AIM-54 AND THE F-14 ARE STILL THE BEST FIRE AND FORGET PAKAGE DO YOU AGREE?]THE WEAPON WAS A GREAT IDEA AND A FEAT OF ENGINNEERING BUT IT HAS TO MANY FLAWS TO MAKE IT THE BEST AT WHAT IT WAS DEAIGNED FOR .FIRSTLY ITS TOO EXPENSIVE @ ARROUND 1 MILLION$ EACH .SECONDLY A F-14 CAN ONLY EFFECTIVELY OPERATE WITH 4 54'S ON BOARD AS THE WEIGHT WOULD BE TOO MUCH FOR THE F-14 TO LAND NOT TO MENTION THE DRASTIC REDUCTION IN PERFORMANCE AND THEN THERE'S THE FACT THAT ONLY 40% OF THE PRESANT WEAPON'S IN STOCK WOULD WORK UNDER COMBAT CONDITONS AND THAT ACCORDING TO THE US GOVERMENT.IF HUGHES WOULD SOLVE THESE PROBLEMS IT WOULD BE THE GREATEST WEAPON IN THE NAVY ARMMAMENT
  •  09-01-2001, 3:57 AM 1450 in reply to 1417

Re:THE AIM-54 IS IT STILL THE BEST?

*** Posted by DUSTY ***
    THANKS FOR YOUR VIEW I AGREE WITH WHAT U SAY IF YOU HAVE ANY NEW INFO ON FIRE AND FORGET MISSILES PM ME I WILL BE GLAD TO HEAR FROM U . CHEERS MATE . THE DUST.
  •  11-12-2002, 3:39 PM 2046 in reply to 1417

Re: Re:THE AIM-54 IS IT STILL THE BEST?

I wust say that I think it is the best weapon in the Navy. Of course there are the disadvantages such as increased drag, increased weight, and decreased manuverability. But I believe the AIM-54's good points make up for it. It of course is the longest range air-to-air missile, and it can take out just about anything flying. The F-14, its radar, and the Phoenix are all based are around one idea which is to shoot down any enemy aircraft before it can reach the carrier. And because of its great range you don't have to worry about decreased manuverability. It's not like in "Top Gun". I might have enjoyed that movie if I didn't know so much about the F-14.
View as RSS news feed in XML