Forum
Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Too late?

Last post 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM by raimius. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-25-2009, 11:10 AM 7249

Too late?

Since I was a child I always dreamed of being an aircraft pilot, but never took my dream seriously enough to go to college or apply myself in highschool. I currently work a well paying job, but after 4 years have realized that good pay is nothing if everyday the realization that your dream is slipping away is sinking in.  I am 22 yrs and I know I have time but my window of oppurtunity is closing.  I will be starting college in the fall to work toward a degree in Aerospace engineering   and after college I plan to try to be a USAF pilot. (like everyone else im told) I know it wont be easy but I love to challenge myself physically and mentally.  This is an uncoventional way of going about becoming a USAF pilot, but I think its possible. What can I do to become a competitive candidate for flight school? Im told they will accept people until 30yrs old but do even stand a chance trying to enter USAF flight training at 27-28?

Thanks                                                                                                        Reilly

•  03-08-2009, 7:51 PM 7296 in reply to 7249

Re: Too late?

Yes, you have a chance.

I believe the age limit is 29, but it's been a while since I have seen the official requirements.

If you go AFROTC (which sounds like the best route for you), doing well academically, athletically, and getting a good review from your detachment commander would make you very competative for a pilot slot (assuming you are medically qualified).

•  05-22-2009, 6:26 PM 7620 in reply to 7249

I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread. I am having the same concerns as you. I have always wanted to join the AF, but never acted on it. I just Graduated this past week with a BS in Finance, Summa *** Laude (3.82). I am wondering if it is a possibility to join the AF and pursue a pilot career. I just turned 27 last month. Is it too late for me?
  •  05-24-2009, 1:24 AM 7639 in reply to 7620

You could potentially make it through OTS, but the timeline is getting pretty tight, due to your age.
  •  05-24-2009, 2:41 PM 7641 in reply to 7639

Thanks Raimius. I figured I was getting awfully close to the point of no return. I read somewhere that you must apply before being 28.5 and be in training before your 30th birthday. Does that sound accurate?

To be honest, I am not sure I would want to commit 8 years if I was doing something other than flying, or at least an opportunity to do so.
  •  05-26-2009, 10:25 PM 7651 in reply to 7641

Check at wantscheck.org in the medical section for UPT criteria.
View as RSS news feed in XML