Forum
Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Am I on the right track?

Last post 02-19-2008, 11:23 PM by raimius. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-17-2008, 2:45 PM 5206

Am I on the right track?

As of right now, I am a high school sophmore looking into going to either the Air Force Academy or the Naval Academy.  However, seeing as these are both very competitive schools, I am a little concerned with my status compared to other kids at my age.  I do well in school, but I need to improve outside of school with sports and other activities.  So I was wondering how I look compared to other students my age and if I have a chance at the acedemy if I continue on this track.

I took the SATs this Janurary and here are my scores. They're a little below par, but I'm only a Sophmore and I didn't prepare for the SATs at all (just to see where I need to improve):

01/2008SAT Reasoning Test

Critical Reading
    60079%
     Math
    64084%
     Writing
    58077%
     Multiple Choice
    54 (score range: 20-80) 
     Essay

I am taking the most rigerous classes that I can right now in school, and my GPA is a 4.025 (weighted).  Next year, I'll be taking four AP classes (Environmental Science, Calculus, Physics, and European History) and I'll be taking Honors British Literature and Honors Chemistry. Aside from regular acadmic courses, I'll be taking Gym and Intro to Law. 

As for excracurricular activities, I am in World Affairs Club, Key Club, and Ski Club.  I also did Model Congress and am doing Model UN this March.

Sports is a weak point for me.  I'm not of shape or anything, but I haven't done any high school sports.   Since I like to run, I am doing Track and Field this spring, and will probabily follow through with track next year for each season (cross-country in fall, indoor in winter, and track and field again).

I also don't have any leadership activities.  I know I will be an officer in Ski club and Key Club in my senior year, and most likely be president of World Affairs Club aswell.  However, there isn't anything I have now.  I plan to join CAP but I lost the packet they sent me in the mail so I have to request another one.

So, as of right now, I am I doing everything I can be doing? And if so, do I have a good chance at the academy?

Please recommend me some things to do, so I have a better chance of passing the application process.

I know this board isn't updated that often, but if you could take the time to respond, I would be so thankful. Smile
  •  02-19-2008, 11:23 PM 5216 in reply to 5206

Re: Am I on the right track?

With a little study, your SAT scores should be at or above average.  Don't worry too much there.  GPA and classes look good. 

Sports--get on that.  XC and track are good. (Don't neglect your upper-body strength either).

Leadership--This is your largest hole.  Pick a couple things you are passionate about and lead in those areas.

If you do those things, you should have a decent shot.

View as RSS news feed in XML