Forum
Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Would I still qualify for flying an F-22?

Last post 02-20-2012, 6:45 PM by raimius. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-02-2012, 3:03 PM 11156

Would I still qualify for flying an F-22?

So I've always wanted to be an F-22 pilot since I was a kid and I'm a Junior in high school right now but I'm not sure whether or not I meet the requirements. I'm about 5'8, I am nearsighted (which can be corrected by surgery) and I'm slightly flat-footed.

Would I still be eligible to fly? Also I might go into Air Force ROTC, is it recommended for me to take an aeronautic engineer major? Because I'm not good at advanced math like Calculus.
  •  02-16-2012, 9:35 PM 11196 in reply to 11156

• marshnewell is not online. Last active: 02-16-2012, 9:37 PM marshnewell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-17-2012
    • 4050 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 210, Anchorage, AK 99508
    • Posts 1

Re: Would I still qualify for flying an F-22?

First you complete aeronautic engineering and then try for F-22 pilot.
  •  02-20-2012, 6:45 PM 11208 in reply to 11156

Re: Would I still qualify for flying an F-22?

First, you'll need to complete a commissioning program, as only officers are pilots in the AF. For active duty, the options are the Air Force Academy, AFROTC at a civilian college, or AFOTS after you graduate college.

Next, you will need to get a pilot slot out of your commissioning program.

Of course you will need to pass a Class I flight physical. Your eyesight may be an issue, but I'm not a flight doc, so I don't know exactly where and when waivers are given these days. I did get a waiver for roughly -2.25 distant vision.

After getting a pilot slot, you'll need to be near the top of your class in UPT. This is no easy task. You'll need to track into T-38s, and do well there.

Finally, you'll need there to be an available F-22 slot for your class. There are usually a couple F-22 slots per year, with about a dozen classes at four bases each.

Alternatively, you could go guard or reserve, which would virtually guarantee the F-22 slot if you get into that unit and pass UPT. That's not exactly easy either.
View as RSS news feed in XML