Forum
Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Military pilot options

Last post 11-04-2011, 10:10 PM by khalil. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-31-2010, 10:13 PM 9460

Military pilot options

I'm trying to help my 17 year old nephew gather information/guidance on becoming a pilot in the military. I have read posts on this site et. al. that recommend ROTC with one of the branches when he goes to college. He is NOT interested in being a fighter/"Top Gun" kind of pilot but thinks he would be interested flying cargo, etc... Any suggestions? Thanks.
  •  08-01-2010, 9:46 PM 9463 in reply to 9460

Re: Military pilot options

For active duty Air Force, he can do AFROTC at a civilian college, to to USAFA, or graduate from college then go through AF OTS.
  •  10-30-2010, 1:57 PM 9744 in reply to 9463

Don't forget the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve options.  These routes allow you to secure a pilot slot before you actually make any commitment.  And many ANG or AFRC pilots fly full time, just like active duty Air Force.

Ryan

•  12-11-2010, 1:22 PM 9892 in reply to 9744

I recently posted a question similar to this one and just stumbled across this answer. How would I go about doing this? I live next to a C5 unit and don't mind a long commitment, I just want to continue to live where I grew up.
  •  12-19-2010, 10:23 PM 9904 in reply to 9892

C5s are more stable than most aircraft, as there are only a couple bases for them, but you would still likely be moving every few years if you go active duty.
  •  11-04-2011, 10:10 PM 10861 in reply to 9460

First and foremost, your nephew should do his best to have good grades since it matters to have those when he wants to become a pilot. The military makes it's decision based on the "whole person concept" so I suggest your nephew do ROTC, maintain a good GPA, be involved with the community, keep flying, be well-rounded and advise that he doesn't give them any reason for not selecting him when the time comes. I hope your nephew does well and gets to achieve his dreams.
    And for those who are interested to know how it is to be in a military school, you may want to read this.
View as RSS news feed in XML